Here are some possible questions to ask family members over the holidays. These are just suggestions
– you may think of other questions that you would like to ask.
- How many strands of history (geographic and ethnic groups) are in your personal ancestry?
- If your ancestors are not indigenous to this country, what country/countries did they leave, and why
did they come here?
- Where did they stay when the first got here?
- Did they settle in an enclave of similar people, or were they mixed with other ethnicities?
- What challenges and difficulties did they face: What were their joys?
- Did they have connections with land that were broken when they moved from place to place?
- What do you know about the people who previously lived on the land where your ancestors settled?
- Please feel free to add other questions that emerge or that are important to you.